If you are traveling to beautiful Puerto Vallarta in Jalisco, Mexico, you don’t need to worry about vegan options, as the plant-based scene here has exploded in recent years! From rustic taco stands to gourmet vegan tasting menus, you will find delicious options galore that reflect the bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables that this tropical paradise has to offer!
Along with the growing awareness and demand for vegan choices, we were also excited to discover pop-up farm stands and local producers of vegan and raw vegan products that offer their products at various stores or by advance order. You will find anything from fabulous jackfruit taco meat varieties to raw vegan cheesecakes and desserts. This means super clean vegan eating is now as easy as feasting like a king!
Below we have listed our personal top 10 favorite vegan-friendly restaurants and food options, followed by a list of other vegan-friendly resources in Puerto Vallarta for you to discover!
We hope that you will find this list helpful and that you will share any new findings or updates that you discover too!
Our personal 10 favorite vegan-friendly restaurants and food options
1. Playa Detox is one of the healthiest 100 % vegan eateries in town! Located halfway between marina and centro, this is the spot where you fill your cravings for clean food, green juices, superfood smoothies and a gazillion delightful plant-based dishes, including many raw vegan dishes and desserts! The menu runs from Mexican favorites to burgers and falafel, so come hungry and eat your way through! We recommend the Tostada with Tuna, Jackfruit Tacos Tinga, Thai Lettuce Wraps, Sopes, Aguachile, Playa Burger and the Raw Vegan Pie!
2. Mary’s Vegetariano is loved by locals and visitors alike. She offers daily breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets with changing main courses for a very affordable 95 pesos (when we visited November 2019). Located on Honduras Street and in walking distance to the Malecon, this is our favorite lunch place and we appreciate the freshness, cleanliness and always superb quality of the food! Seeing Mary’s smiling face and chatting with her is another bonus!
3. Salud Super Food. Located in the Romantic Zone, this health-forward eatery brims with flavors and a nice vibe! Owner Willy has been running this lovely place for over 20 years and we highly recommend stopping by for breakfast or lunch and get the fabulous bowls, superfood smoothies or all-day breakfast wraps!
4. Archie’s Wok is an institution in Puerto Vallarta with delicious, consistent Asian fusion cuisine. The wait for a table can be a while as this place is popular, but it’s nice to sit on the patio with a cocktail in the Romantic Zone while you are waiting. Archie’s has the best Thai dishes and we recommend asking for vegan versions of their Spicy Noodles, Mushroom Noodles, Green Curry and a variety of salads!
5. Veggitalia is a charming vegetarian eatery on Corona Street just 2 blocks from the Malecon and owner Chef Marco has delicious pastas, pizzas, and vegan tiramisu! The restaurant is delightful and the vibe relaxed and warm. Most dishes are already vegan, so try the Manicotti, Spaghetti Puttanesca or Penne Bologna, or anything he has on special!
6. Planeta Vegetariano is a picturesque walk up Iturbide Street, known for its umbrellas hanging upside down, where this charming small eatery welcomes you with vibrant murals and daily breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets. The food is mostly vegan Mexican and sometimes they offer Western main dishes too.
7. Qulture is a new vegan-friendly restaurant in a nice courtyard setting surrounded by beautiful art galleries! Located further north in the Romantic Zone, it’s a surprise find with a nice bar and great food, especially the appetizers. We tried the Spinach Mini Quiche, Stuffed Mushrooms, Cauliflower Thai Curry and the Quinoa and Black Bean Lettuce Wraps.
8. Café des Artistes is THE place for special occasions and fine dining in Puerto Vallarta for almost 30 years, and in my opinion, this is one of the most romantic restaurants in the world! Make a reservation for early dining so you can sit in the garden, as the main part of the restaurant is built into the rain forest! It’s simply stunning, and the food and drinks are haute cuisine, matched by excellent service and live violin & piano music. They offer a vegetarian tasting menu that you can ask to be vegan when you make the reservation. If you are celebrating something special, get ready to be wowed!
9. Olas Altas Saturday Market – every Saturday from 9 am to 2 pm during season in the Romantic Zone. This market features loads of small production quality vendors and the food & beverage offerings are fantastic! Come hungry as you will want to try ALL the vegan jackfruit taco options that Productos Rancho San Agustin has to offer! And get their vegan cheese and cakes to go. Next, stop over at the lady who sells vegan bread and head to the back of the market to the couple that sells sprouts – and eat another organic black corn taco with sprouts and veggies! You will also find the Choco Museo with a stand here, offering many dark chocolate flavors of superb quality that you can also sample! We highly recommend bringing these back as gifts for those at home. Next, grab an agua fresca, stroll about the many art and holistic product vendors, and enjoy listening to great live music on this beautiful plaza. We recommend coming by latest 11 am as vendors sell out of their best offerings!
10. If you are heading north to Bucerias in Nayarit, make sure you have dinner at Sandrina’s! Her romantic garden is magical and her tasty Mexican & Greek cuisine are enjoyable! Start with Vegan Verduras Rostizadas, Ensalada Mediterraneo, and then the Vegan Chile Poblano or Veggie Bowl.
Other vegan and holistic resources in Puerto Vallarta
For fans of natural, toxin-free products, skincare, pet care, Bach flower remedies and more, check out holistic health center Alquimiate located at the Plaza Marina, which is run by the delightful couple Claudia and Luis, who make their own herbal treatments and personal care products from quality ingredients. Claudia is a naturopathic doctor and she is your go-to person for holistic health options in the area! You can also catch them at the Olas Altas Saturday Market in the Romantic Zone.
Ginger Veggie is a vegan and zero waste store and café on Ecuador Street. Here you will find a great many packaged vegan products and eco friendly products.
Organic Select Deli and Mercado on Francia Street features a vegan bakery and many super food products including kombucha, and an organic produce and bulk section.
Productos Rancho San Agustin has the best jackfruit vegan food varieties we have ever eaten, including tacos, hummus, tamales, quesadillas, ceviche, vegan cheeses and multiple cakes! They are usually at the Olas Altas Saturday Market, special events, and also have products at the Alquimiate health center at Plaza Marina. You can also have your choices delivered to you!
Curated by Ina Mohan, world traveler and fan of Puerto Vallarta