We like our vegan chili spicy and this recipe will please you if you are up for a little kick!
It is highly recommend to soak the beans overnight or at least a few hours before preparation, to aid the digestion of the beans.
Ingredients for 4:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- ½ stalk celery, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried red chilies, crushed into small pieces
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp unprocessed sea salt
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 2 cups water
- fresh cilantro
- Soak the dried beans in water for a full day or at least a few hours before making your chili. Rinse the beans well.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, peppers and garlic and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until vegetables are softened but not browned.
- Add dried chilies, oregano, cumin, chili powder and salt. Stir to blend. Add tomatoes and 6 cups of water. Gently simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and simmer an additional 45 to 60 minutes on low heat, until the beans are soft. You can add more water if you prefer a more liquid chili. Taste and adjust for spice level.
- Serve hot and garnish individual bowls of the vegan chili with cilantro.